Thiago Tavares Interview

This is the place for all discussion concerning the UFC, including The Ultimate Fighter. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Thiago Tavares Interview

Postby Brett Jones on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:45 pm

Did you feel you were harmed by the judges in your last UFC fight? What would you have done diffrently.

- Who saw the fight, knows who won. I believe I could have hit him more, have lost less positions and worked more the G'n'P. But anyways, I know I won. The important is that the won that they gave him stayed in his record. In my mind, I feel like I lost the first round and won the remaining rounds. I got takedowns, I was better in the ground, didn't get knockdowned, the punch in the eye was in GnP. I think they gave him the win for taking me off of the mount and the back, and getting up from the takedowns.

Clay Guida also lost to Tyson in a decision and went out saying that Randy Couture was "the man". Do you think that the presence of Randy in his corner made the diffrence.

- When the fight was over, I looked at Murilo (Bustamante) and asked if I won, he said Yes, that I won rounds 2 and 3. When I sit in the chair and looked at the big screen and saw that they were filming Couture together with him I thought "It is over, now I am fucked". At the time I cheered too to try to take over the crowd, but when they filmed Couture the audience was cheering, it was fucked. OK, the fight was close, but Unanimous Decision? Fuck, I didn't even win the 2nd round? Lots of takedowns, flying knee, dominated the ground, did GnP from half-guard... but I will train more for next fight.

It was the first negative result from your career, does that shake you in any way?

No, not at all. You know why? Because I've always dreamed of losing like that, battling it hardly, like a man., representing my friends and team. They were 3 alucinating rounds, classified as fight of the night. I've always knew sometime I was gonna lose and I wanted it to be in a war. It wasn't some KO, but in a tight decision, maybe a robbery. I am very calm, this loss will cost me 20 victories.

Will you still fight this year?

-I have 3 more fights in my contract. Dana White came to me and said it was a great fight, considered the best in the event. I should fight again in November. The guys saw that winning or losing, I am there. I will never guaranty a victory, but to beat me you have to give your very very best.

Tyson Griffin can be BJ Penn's next opponent if Sean Shekr's title is stripped. Who you think would win?

-Tyson defends stuff very well. Nobody in UFC can defend like him; was he better than me in the ground? Maybe in boxing he was, his game is to fight tough. He is not good in anything, but defends well. He is too short, stalky, has no arm and no neck. He trades, sprawls, is tough to anyone really. I hope a lot that they put him against BJ Penn and that he wins, so then I can win my next 3 fights and ask for a fight with him. I pray everyday for that.
I host the show.
Brett Jones
V.I.P.

Re: Thiago Tavares Interview

Postby Brett Jones on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:34 pm

It brought great joy to my heart to learn that Tavares plans to fight in New Jersey at UFC 78, which Steve and I will be attending.

Life is grand.
I host the show.
Brett Jones
V.I.P.

Re: Thiago Tavares Interview

Postby Brett Jones on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:32 pm

All we need is Thiago Silva on that show and yeah, they'll call it UFC 78: Thiago Rule.
I host the show.
Brett Jones
V.I.P.

Return to UFC Discussion